So it is perhaps ironic that I'm using the internet to blog on how technology has taken over but these days it would appear there is little other way to communicate with the people of this world.
The weather, as we all know, has been a little insane these past few days, alas, we were cursed with a deadly power cut for a whole 30 MINUTES! OMG WHAT WILL WE DO!? Panic, update facebook as soon as is physically possible, all looking for confirmation that yes, indeed, everything was off and they were left with no tv, no facebook, no computers, no games. Me? I was more annoyed that we weren't even 10minutes into Zumba and that if the electricity didn't sort it out I was gonna look fecking awful at my interview tomorrow. I didn't however go into a bitch hiss fit and hulk over the fact that I would have 'nothing to do'.
Sometimes I even wish that curfew was on internet and tv and gaming (I know my gaming friends are probably reaching for their consoles right about now to batter me with but stop). From my point of view, it would encourage us to release that childish side of us again where we went outside and saw our friends, where we'd read and write stories and play games with our family. Instead right now, as the power is back on, I'm choosing to right a blog about it, my mums sat playing some game on facebook and the tv is on playing a film that neither of us are particularly watching.
We've become such a lazy country and generation where if its not cyber we don't seem to be interested. The amazonkindle: am I the only person that likes to sit with the feeling of a proper book in my hand, turning the pages myself? msn/facebook chat: a great invention for those who have friends and relatives who you rarely see but you're friends down the road?! get out of bed, get together and have banter that isn't interrupted by the fact that internet can't express tone. If you insist on using technology at least use the phone or skype. At least your physically talking, even better with skype where you can make eye contact!
Fair enough I'm maybe not the best person to talk, I spend my fair amount of time on facebook, refreshing the page and waiting for something interesting to happen but to be honest, I kind of like it when the internet goes down. Providing I don't have an essay due, it's nice to sit back and chill with a book and unleashing that imaginative part of myself that isn't constricted by law or social justice or social policy or placement. Now, to try and persuade others that reading and going back to the 'dark ages' in terms of entertainment isn't the worst that could happen. Hell I might even persuade them to write a letter to a friend and post it rather than sending a half assed email.
Aww a good point. why dont I write you a letter in forres and you can write me one back in lilithgow, It'll be fun :)
ReplyDelete